Monday, July 25, 2011

The Six Oranges Puzzles

(This is my answer to my subject's Learning Skills exam: How did I arrive to the answer to this question? What were my learning skills involved?)

THE PUZZLE: There are six oranges in the bag. How can you give these 6 children an orange each and still have one left in the bag?

First of all, when I got this question, to be passed on the day of regular class, I didn't bother myself much to answer immediately because there were still other things I must do. An exam the next day. However, there were days I would think about it but not much until I started making this.

I heard what the others would do to get this answer. Some would research. Some made this a discussion on Facebook. However, I didn't bother myself to listen to them because I wanted to try to answer this puzzle myself.

I got my first answer to this question when I was on the commode. (I'm a thinker. I think a lot. My mind runs like a TV.)

Answer #1: There are 6 oranges and I gave each orange to 6 children. But the puzzle didn't say there's one "orange" left in the bag. Therefore, there could be another fruit in the bag.

My second answer came when I was only chilling out or enjoying free time watching a movie, and I went to pee. (Bathroom again) My second answer is a bit weird and complex.

Answer #2: What if the person doesn't know division. Six oranges, he has to divide to 6 children. 6 divided by 6 is one. Therefore, there is one orange left in the bag.

Logically, that's not possible...and dumb.

Answer #3: What if the person miscounted the oranges. He counted 6 oranges and gave it to 6 children. He missed counting the seventh orange. (But the question said HOW not WHAT IF.)

Answer #4: The man gave 6 oranges to 6 children. But one child didn't like an orange, so child returned the orange. The man left with one orange in his bag. (However, the puzzle said there's "one left IN THE BAG".)

All my answers didn't quite stick to the puzzle itself, but all were possible in each of their own way.

I set aside my answers and lastly went to the internet to search for 'an' answer. I didn't say 'the' answer because I knew there are many possible answers from this puzzle.

Answer #5: Answers.com said "Start with 7 oranges..."

Hmm. Answer #5 is quite possible and logical, and sticks to question accurately.

THE PUZZLE: There are six oranges in the bag. How can you give these 6 children an orange each and still have one left in the bag?

THE ANSWER: Add one more orange to the bag.

I have not thought the puzzle could be that simple. A young child can answer this puzzle. Too bad, I'm no longer a small child with an unadulterated mind.

(Before I write this on paper/booklet, I typd on the computer. I can think more if I type because I wouldn't mind my handwriting and counting the pages I used. So two of my learning skills is to remove distractions and find something comfortable. Minding my handwriting, pen and paper is a distraction, and typing on a keyboard is comfortable. When I make my journals, I type, I no longer write.
And I made this VERY late at night. Night is when my mind works more, maybe because of the less stimuli that goes on at night or less distractions from the noise or people.)

No comments: